Friday, March 25, 2011

The Definition of a Roflstomp: 850 HKs In One Day

The Lion is using Hax!
 As I first started to play World of Warcraft I noticed something... its players did not speak plain English! Many words I had not even seen before were used. I understood some of the typical internet words, but words such as gank, epic, s-keying, and other various terms were completely new to me. Even if I did know the dictionary definition for gank (which is to steal) I would never have thought it meant to kill a lower level player and camp(another WoW term) their body, not even giving them the chance to do anything.

As time progressed I was able to learn what a lot of these terms meant(Google was a great resource). I also started to notice that these words became a part of my regular speech...

No longer did I speak in plain English dictionary defined words. I started to catch myself using words like owned, gg, and broseph. One of my favorite words from WoW is the word roflstomp. It is a compound word, which combines the term rofl (which means "rolling on the floor laughing") with the term stomp (meaning to beat). Thus, roflstomp literally means to beat someone or something so badly that it is laughable.



In the the Bible there is a story found in 1 Kings 18:17-40 (read scripture or read a simpler version) that to me defines the term roflstomp. So the story goes that there is a drought in the land of Israel, which is caused by the Lord because of the wickedness of the people. Elijah the prophet challenges the unrighteous king Ahab and his wicked priests to somewhat of a duel. In this duel they will both pray to their respective Gods, and try to call down fire from heaven. The fire must then consume a pile of wood and a bull that they are sacrificing.The wicked priests of Baal start to pray, and end up praying all morning with no result. At noon they started to jump all over the altar, yell, and cut themselves (emo!).  Then Elijah started to mock them and said that their god must be sleeping. The wicked priests kept on praying to no avail until evening.

Now Elijah started to build his altar. He gathered twelve stones, cut up the bull, and placed it on the wood to burn. Elijah also dug a trench around the altar and had them pour four barrels of water on it three times. By now the altar was soaking wet, and it had gotten quite late. He then prayed, and verse thirty-eight says says "...Then the fire of the Lord fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench." Under Elijah's command, the people proceeded to take all the wicked priests to the brook Kishon, were Elijah slew them all! That's 850 honorable kills, and to me that is the definition of a roflstomp!


1 comment:

  1. I am ROFL.

    Sister Edvalson, Sacramento, CA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...